About Me

My photo
the labcat is the online life of labrys, smith college's art/literary magazine. we collect poems, prose, flash-fiction, letters, diary entries, essays, doodles, paintings, oils, sketches, photography, animation, videos, graphics, chicken-scratches, stippling, charcoal rubbing, pastels, collages, observations, music and whatever else inspires you. send it in bulky bundles to labrys@smith.edu.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Baby by Dana Glass '09

You are a thin creature, like a
malnourished child in my arms,
slender and brittle. If you were
alive I would hard boil eggs
for you. If you were alive,
we would have play-dates and
discuss politics. As it is,

I have fabricated a thin life for us:
I bury myself in tea-colored
manuscripts, face hovering
ghoulishly above the miniature blue
bonfire of your one, looming eye.
Darkness begins before night and
continues after.

No comments: