About Me

My photo
the labcat is the online life of labrys, smith college's art/literary magazine. we collect poems, prose, flash-fiction, letters, diary entries, essays, doodles, paintings, oils, sketches, photography, animation, videos, graphics, chicken-scratches, stippling, charcoal rubbing, pastels, collages, observations, music and whatever else inspires you. send it in bulky bundles to labrys@smith.edu.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Captain's Quarters, Late at Night by Laura Markis '09J

Waiting for ships to pass in the night
That just never came.
Now I’m counting down the hours ‘til dawn,
But the sky just gets more grey.
Feeling my way by constellations
Is a painful circumnavigation –
And I have to do it alone;
No one else knows the way.

The scattered stars burn like scars:
Winking, knowing, laughing, growing.
They mock me when I am lost.
They say to lose oneself is to be set free,
But I have never felt more trapped.
At least I have the comfort of the sea,
Its constant, lulling melancholy.
What more could one ask?

As the aching wanes and I can breathe again,
I realize how rough the waters have been.
How long have I been in my quarters?
Perhaps I should send a distress signal?
No. I’ll just sit at my desk and pretend to rest;
Get as close as I can to forgiveness,
And wait for the dawn.
Tomorrow is another day.

No comments: