About Me

My photo
the labcat is the online life of labrys, smith college's art/literary magazine. we collect poems, prose, flash-fiction, letters, diary entries, essays, doodles, paintings, oils, sketches, photography, animation, videos, graphics, chicken-scratches, stippling, charcoal rubbing, pastels, collages, observations, music and whatever else inspires you. send it in bulky bundles to labrys@smith.edu.

Monday, November 3, 2008

Study Abroad by Alexandra Bregman '10

The European Union stars blind in Eiffel Tower photos
While French kids at McDonalds sneer at Americans between cigarettes
Musicians sing in Spanish on the metro passing by yet another
Couple’s fleeting, slimy embrace

On my way I eat
Crepes made by Musulmen and pizza made by Frenchmen
Brushing the Iraqi beggars knelt on the Champs Elysees
Between Asians in berets
Smiling at the obese homeless man outside the boulangerie with his “hungry” sign

Nightfall leads me to lonely rockers lingering
In an empty concert hall looking for their scene
I get a few more onceovers in the dark crowd before
I avoid the coffin elevator
And sleep in the Haussmann across from a new apartment
building.

Bonjour.

1 comment:

Emily B said...

This is quite vivid...I wish there were photos accompanying...