About Me

My photo
the labcat is the online life of labrys, smith college's art/literary magazine. we collect poems, prose, flash-fiction, letters, diary entries, essays, doodles, paintings, oils, sketches, photography, animation, videos, graphics, chicken-scratches, stippling, charcoal rubbing, pastels, collages, observations, music and whatever else inspires you. send it in bulky bundles to labrys@smith.edu.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Seventh Sister by Alix Bregman '10

First Semester

John Smith told me
i was worthless
i believed him and opened
my pink umbrella
under a sunny glass ceiling

then i burned the apple betty
in my easy-bake oven poor child
while the shatter of a glory stein
squealed in my ears

the shots ring out
spilling on the table
the illusory fable splashes
into the toilet.

i wish i was who
i meant to be here
strong sister strong
like you but who
are we trying to be?

Second Semester

when i grow up i want to be a Goldsmith
when i grow up i want to be a Silversmith
i'm grown up make me a Blacksmith
i'll be a locksmith.

see my bruises doubt you
do but they’re there
there there they say they
don’t know what they’re
talking about

i don’t want to be here
i don’t want to hear bees
i’m a wanton won ton who cannot have two Bs
stop talking to me. but they don’t.

Stop drinking
Alcohol it’s bad for you stop
Drinking coca cola it’s bad
For the starving children and the poor who
Find their way to college with frowns affirmed in action.

Spring

they stick nametags down their throats on fingers
they stick nametags up their girlfriends
i’m bulimic i’m gay i’m tortured i wear black
but don’t tell me how to run my life
i run on my own.

dear sister
help me
Help Me.

No comments: